Sunday, March 09, 2008

Chicken Parmesan without the Breading and the Fat

This recipe came to me from Sweetnicks, but was originally from Giada De Laurentis (on the Food Network). Again, like some previous dishes I've tried from other people, this one drew my attention because of Cate's fabulous photo. Don and I really liked this version - and it's one that I will definitely make again for several reasons: 1) It's quick and easy, 2) It's low carb (no breading), 3) It's low fat (no frying), and 4) it just tastes fantastic. I used plain old Ragu - which was in my fridge only because I'd had a coupon and already used half the jar on some meatball subs. I'm sure many different marinaras would be fine for this.

Chicken Parmesan
from Giada De Laurentis

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 chicken cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup marinara sauce
¼ cup shredded mozzrella cheese
8 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Preheat the oven to 500˚. In a small bowl, stir the oil and herbs to blend. Brush both sides of the cutlets with the herb oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Heat a large, heavy ovenproof skillet over a high flame. Add the cutlets and cook just until brown, about 1 minute per side. Remove from heat. Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the cutlets. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of mozzarella over each cutlet, then sprinkle 2 teaspoons of Parmesan over each. Dot the tops with the butter pieces and bake until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serves 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the posting this recipe. It looks great & I'm going to cook it for my family tonight. :) Thanks again!