Sunday, March 02, 2008

Anticuchos (Peruvian Beef Skewers)

These were in Cooking Light, and since I love beef skewers of any kind, I thought I'd give these a try. It's the middle of winter here, and when I made these last week we still had 4 feet of snow on the ground. I used my Cuisinart griddle to cook them and was pleased with how they turned out. When I make them again, however, I'm going to cook them on an outdoor grill, and add onions and bell peppers to the skewers.

Anticuchos (Peruvian Beef Skewers)
From Cooking Light


Beef:
1 ½ lbs. boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons ground aji amarillo or hot paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
Fiery rub:
1 teaspoon ground aji amarillo or hot paprika
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
To prepare the beef, combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Cover and chill 3 hours.
To prepare fiery rub, combine 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, turmeric, and parsley.

Prepare grill.

Remove beef from bowl, discarding marinade. Thread beef onto each of 6 (10-inch) skewers. Press fiery rub onto beef. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once.

No comments: