Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pumpkin Waffles

As I've mentioned several times before, I love to visit other people's blogs and then borrow recipes from them. One of my favorites is Joe's Culinary in the Country. Joe often cooks things that I like. I mean, why should I visit blogs where the food doesn't sound good? Joe's a great cook, and I want to know his secret of staying slim when he makes such wonderful treats and meals. Lucky guy. Anyway, one of the recipes I've borrowed from him is pumpkin waffles. After I made yesterdays' Spicy Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars, I still had about half a can of pumpkin left. This morning I made a double batch of waffles so there are a bunch in the freezer now.

Pumpkin Waffles
from Joe of Culinary in the Country

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups vanilla soymilk (I used regular milk)
1 cup mashed pumpkin
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
In a small bowl, whisk together milk, mashed pumpkin, sugar, oil and egg. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moist.

Preheat waffle iron. Using about 1/4 cup of the batter per waffle, pour mixture into waffle iron. Let cook until the steam begins to subside - about 4-7 minutes. Remove waffles and repeat until batter is used up. Makes about 8 regular sized waffles.

What I like best about these is that they don't need as much syrup as regular waffles due to the brown sugar and the natural sweetness of the pumpkin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look and sound wonderful!