Friday, January 04, 2008

Kalyn's Cottage Cheese Muffins

One of the things I'll be doing to save money AND eat better will be to take my breakfast and coffee instead of going to Starbuck's and then a fast food place. Kalyn posted this recipe a while back, and decided it would be a perfect one to start with. Hers didn't have mushrooms; I added them because I had them. They're going to be perfect low-carb breakfast for me until I run out!

Cottage Cheese and Egg Breakfast Muffins with Mushrooms, Bacon and Green Onions
from Kalyn's Kitchen


1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/3 cup cottage cheese (I used low-fat)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup almond meal (this is less than in Kalyn's recipe)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons water
8 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup real bacon bits (I buy the large bags from Costco)
2 green onions, thinly sliced (include green part)

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a medium skillet, sauté mushrooms until tender. Remove from heat.

In mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, white whole wheat flour, almond meal, baking powder, salt, water, and beaten egg. Mix well. Gently mix in mushrooms, bacon and green onion, until well distributed in batter.

Spray 18 muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 25 -30 minutes, until muffins are firm and lightly browned. Serve hot or room temperature.

These will keep well a few days in the refrigerator, or you can freeze them and thaw in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave for no more than 30 seconds, or they'll get tough.

1 comment:

Kalyn Denny said...

Mushrooms sound like a great addition! I made a vegetarian version with artichoke hearts but haven't gotten around to posting the recipe yet, and now I'm doing phase one recipes for a few weeks. I'll probably post it in a couple of weeks.