Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cocoa and Chicken?

Yes. First, think about mole. It's got unsweetened chocolate in it. This dish has cocoa in the spicy rub, and since there's also chili powder, oregano, and thyme, it too is reminiscent of mole. This is another one of Joe's recipes - like I mentioned the other day, he cooks things that I like to eat!

Cocoa-Chili-rubbed Chicken

1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 boneless/skinless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 375˚. In a small bowl, toss together chili powder, cocoa, oregano, thyme, sugar and salt.

In a large oven-safe skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium. Brush chicken breasts with remaining oil and rub each generously with the spice mixture on both sides. Place the chicken into the skillet and sear on both sides. Place the skillet into the oven and bake until the chicken has cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.

I thought it was neat how everything continued to sizzle while it was in the oven. We could smell the cocoa, but really didn't taste it much. I used Penzey's Chili Powder for the first time, now that I've finally used up my old chili powder. This recipe is super easy to make, and it's definitely a keeper! Thanks again, Joe!


Don't forget Thursday Soup or Stew Night tomorrow! You have all day and all night to get your post up and sent to me at cholmaneee (at) uia (dot) net. I'll be doing the roundup Friday night.

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

This does look tasty. I love Joe's meals too!

As for Thursday Soup or stew, I'll have to mark it in the calendar and join in the fun.