Friday, January 11, 2008

Let's Warm Up With Some Soup

The last time I did a Thursday Soup or Stew Roundup was last March. It's been too long, but with the weather as cold as it's been lately, now seems as good a time as any to start again. I enjoy this for two reasons - one, I already know what I'm making on Thursdays (sort of - I have to pick a recipe each week), and two, I get to see what everyone else makes and find new recipes to try.

On with the roundup. It's a small one, but that's okay. It'll be fine.


First to send in her recipe was Lalaine of The Cookmobile, who created a dish called Lamb Caldereta. She stated that she normally uses a packet mix for this, but this time created it from scratch. It truly sounds wonderful.








I then heard from an old blogging friend, Dagny of Dagny's Empire (she visits my blog often and we "chat"), who sent in her recipe for Brunswick Stew. I've never had it, and it sounds like something I'd like to try - but with the chicken. Dagny says that back in the day it was made with rabbit!



My contribution this week is Corn-Potato Chowder, something that I created a few years ago and can throw together in half an hour. It's wonderfully creamy, due to the texture of the cream-style corn, the half-and-half, and the little bit of cornstarch.

Corn-Potato Chowder

¼ cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 large baking potato , peeled and diced
1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
1 15 oz. can cream-style corn, undrained
1 cup half & half
1 cup milk, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup real bacon bits
Sauté the onion in the butter until tender. Add chicken broth and diced potato; bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes or until potato pieces are tender. Add corn, cream-style corn, half & half, and 3/4 cup of the milk. In a small jar or bowl, combine the cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup milk; stir into soup. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add bacon and serve.


Some other great soups and stews I've seen this week:

Alanna of A Veggie Venture has made some 15-Bean Soup
Randi of Culinary Adventures made Paella



Any more?

No comments: