Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What to Make With Fresh Blueberries? Muffins!

One of my favorite places to buy produce is the 99 cent store. Really! I can get yellow, red, and orange bell peppers, 3 for .99, 3 pounds of onions, bags of apples, cauliflower, zucchini, and so much more for a whole lot less than the grocery store and the produce market. Today they had baskets of blackberries - 2 for .99, and blueberries for .99. I bought a bunch, and have frozen most of them. But I decided to use two baskets of the blueberries and make some whole wheat muffins. These have a twist to them - lemon filling. The store also had cans of lemon pie filling for .99, and I thought it would be fun to try using the filling in the muffins. (I'd rather use lemon curd, but didn't want to make it from scratch, and the Trader Joe's is too far away.) These turned out quite nicely.

Whole Wheat Lemon-Filled Blueberry Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 egg whites
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 - 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup (approx.) lemon curd or canned lemon pie filling

Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray 18 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Sift together flour, flax, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg whites, oil, and honey. Add blueberries, and fold into dry ingredients until batter is moist, yet remains slightly lumpy. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Top each with a heaping teaspoon of lemon curd or pie filling. Bake 30 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Makes 18.

2 comments:

Dagny said...

Your 99 cent store has produce? Jealous.

Randi said...

wow, I really miss the 99cents only store. I shopped there way too much. Re: sugar free baking. I'd rather have a few bites of something with sugar, rather than something sugar free. I hate that splenda aftertaste. I did make a spring breeze cheesecake with splenda for the diabetic seniors at work and I hardly noticed the aftertaste. 1 bar light cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream. 1/4-1/3 c. splenda, 1 container light cool whip. Whip the cream cheese, add splenda, add coolwhip and sour cream. Add a dash of vanilla. Fold into a graham cracker shell. Top with fresh fruit or( those cans of sugar free pie filling).