Saturday, May 19, 2007

Sweet Cabbage Salad

I spent some time this afternoon playing catch-up with my recipes - I use MacGourmet to keep them on my computer, and had selected a lot of recipes from several months' worth of Cooking Light to try. We were going to have steak and corn on the cob on the grill for dinner, and I wanted to use up a half head of cabbage. This one looked easy and tasty. Don really liked it - he said he likes it even better than cole slaw. The original recipe from the magazine used 1/4 cup of sugar, but I substituted Splenda granular and it was fine. I've noticed that when I'm mixing Splenda granular with vinegar it really tastes like sugar.

Sweet Cabbage Salad
adapted from Cooking Light
3 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 head)
½ cup shredded carrot (about 1 medium)
½ cup chopped green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
¼ cup chopped red onion
3 tablespoons Splenda granular
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon celery seeds
¼ teaspoon salt
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Combine Splenda and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour vinegar mixture over cabbage mixture, tossing gently to combine. Cover; chill 1 hour. Serves 4

1 comment:

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds good; I'm going to try it.