Sunday, August 13, 2006

Miracle Whip, not Mayonnaise

I grew up eating Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise. Mom made our sandwiches with it, and used it in her potato and macaroni salads, tuna salad, and deviled eggs. My husband grew up eating mayonnaise, but after we married, made the switch to Miracle Whip easily. I do make some things with mayonnaise, and I like it on sandwiches better than Miracle Whip now, but I still stick with Miracle Whip for a lot of my recipes. Mom also used sweet pickles in everything instead of dill, and I prefer sweet even now.

Mom's Tuna Salad

IMG_0811

2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
3 large sweet pickles, diced
1 7-oz. pouch albacore tuna (or two 4-oz. cans albacore tuna packed in water)
1/4 c Mirace Whip, or to taste

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.


Mom's Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs

4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise
2 T Miracle Whip, or to taste
paprika

Remove cooked yolks from egg halves and place in a small bowl. Add Miracle Whip and stir well with a fork to make a soft, creamy mixture. Fill yolk cavities in egg halves, mounding tops. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.

No comments: