Sunday, August 13, 2006

Hot Ham & Swiss Sandwiches and Easy Baked Corn

I had some chopped ham in my freezer that needed to be used up, so I made some sandwiches that freeze well for when I have to work late and DH is hungry. The recipe made four sandwiches, so we ate two and froze two.

Hot Ham and Swiss Sandwiches

Hot Ham & Swiss Sandwiches

1/4 c mayonnaise
1 T poppy seeds
2 T horseradish
2 T onion, grated
1 1/2 c thinly sliced or finely diced ham
8 slices Swiss cheese
4 large rye or whole grain hamburger buns

Mix the mayonnaise, poppy seeds, horseradish and onion together. Place a slice of cheese on a bun, top with ham mixture, and place another slice of cheese on top. Wrap in foil. Heat 30 minutes at 350˚.

I served these with a corn recipe from a cookbook my mother gave me for my birthday last month. Mom plays bridge almost every day at the bridge center in Lubbock, Texas. She’s spoken with her friends their about my blog, and two of the women there mentioned that they’d published some cookbooks. She got them to sign one, and gave it to me for my birthday. It’s called Calf Fries to Caviar, and it’s written by Janel Franklin and Sue Vaughn. It has a lot of recipes that I use often; plus a lot that are new to me. I’d swear that Mom contributed many of the recipes, since Janel and Sue cook a lot like Mom.

Everyone knows what Calf Fries are, right? You know, Mountain Oysters? If you don’t, let me know and I can give you information and a recipe or two. But the recipe I used with my ham sandwiches is called Easy Baked Corn.

Easy Baked Corn
From Calf Fries to Caviar by Janel Franklin and Sue Vaughn

Easy Baked Corn

1 15-oz. can cream-style corn
1 T cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
1 T sugar
1/4 c milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 T butter, cut in small chunks

Preheat oven to 350˚. Empty corn into small greased baking dish. Combine cornstarch, egg, sugar, milk, salt and pepper in the empty corn can (why mess up a clean bowl?). Add to corn and stir to mix. Top with butter chunks. Bake until thick and slightly brown about 25-30 minutes. 4 Servings.

No comments: