Thursday, August 03, 2006

Budget Gourmet

I've never had Beef Wellington. First of all, it must cost a LOT of money, since it's supposed to be made with beef tenderloin. Second, I've never gone to a restaurant that served it. But the idea of beef, with mushrooms, with pate, covered in pastry sounds really good. I found this recipe many years ago, and make it every time I'm in the mood for "something special." It's really easy to make, and the flavors are divine.

Beef Patties En Croute

IMG_0801

IMG_0802

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 t salt
1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 lb. liverwurst, cut into 5 slices
2 1/2 t prepared mustard
1 10-count package refrigerated biscuits

Shape ground beef into five 1-inch thick round patties; sprinkle with salt. In 10-inch skillet over high heat, cook patties 5 minutes or until browned on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Preheat oven to 450F. On lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll one piece of biscuit dough into a 4-inch round. Place a liverwurst slice on center of dough round; top with a beef patty, 1/2 t mustard, and some mushrooms. Then roll another piece of biscuit dough into a 5-inch round; arrange on top of beef patty; press edges together to seal. If you like, cut a small piece of dough from edge of round to make a pretty design to use as a decoration. Repeat to make 5 in all. Place on cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until crust is golden. 5 servings

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for the idea of making my Turkey Tuesday an event. I thought about that, but I didn't want to compete with ARF and Sweetnicks. However, if you have a good turkey recipe, I would love to use it to post on my blog. Like Chef Michelle and her guest bloggers concept. I have something for tomorrow, but would love if you wanted to send me something. Let me know.