Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Best Fish I've Had in a Long Time

All my life I've avoided most fish. As a child, the only fish I ate was fish sticks, or fish that was breaded and fried. I grew to like the fish a Long John Silver's (still do!), and make oven-fried fish every once in a while. But other than that, I've not made much fish. I know I need to, so through the years I've tried different recipes, never really finding any that I truly enjoyed.

Until tonight.

After seeing some posts on other blogs about fish, I decided to give it a go again. I bought some mahi mahi fillets at Costco, and then searched for some appealing recipes. On Culinary in the Desert, Jeff posted a recipe for Pecan-Crusted Tilapia. I like pecans, and the idea of having a breading with pecans in it sounded pretty good. It was easy, and I LOVED it! I have to admit I changed the recipe slightly, and used more pecans and less breadcrumbs.

I would have a picture here, but the batteries on my camera were dead and I didn't want to wait for them to recharge! But mine turned out like Jeff's, so go look at his!

Now I'll be looking for other good recipes. I found another one I'll try on Kalyn’s Kitchen. It's for Almond and Parmesan Baked Tilapia. If you have other ones you think I should try, let me know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindi,
I'm like you, I know I should eat more fish but don't. You should give this recipe for fishcakes a try, even my husband who is very suspicious of fish liked them.

http://www.posiesplace.net/2006/04/19/fishcakes/

Anonymous said...

Although I live in the province between two Seas: North Sea and Baltic Sea I am not a fish lover. But this recipe with cod is really good, tried and tested. The recipe is also available in English, and if you like salmon I recommend this recipe

Kalyn Denny said...

Hey, I bookmarked Joe's recipe too but didn't make it yet. The almond and parmesan tilapia is really good too. Hope you like it.

Cyndi said...

Posie, the fish cakes look wonderful. I think the sauce would be heavenly on them. I'll save the link and give 'me a try.
Ulrike-both recipes look good--I remember the salmon one and was surprised to learn you did them in the oven and not on the grill. I bet the recipe would work great with some mahi mahi or other white fillets.
Kalyn-I"m looking forward to the almond-parmesan.