Tuesday, January 05, 2010

A Challenge: Stashbusting in my Kitchen

As many of my friends and family know, I'm a quilter, who used to be a cross-stitcher, who used to scrapbook and rubber stamp. In those crafty worlds, "stash" means all the supplies you have in order to create whatever it is you create. I often find "stashbusting" challenges going on in the quilting world, but have had no desire to participate since I like obtaining new fabric whenever I can.

But this evening I saw a piece on the local news about impulse shopping, and it focused on a mom who was challenged to go a whole week without ever going to the grocery store. I told Don that I'd often thought about doing something like that, because, honestly, I have an overstuffed pantry and freezer. He said, "So why don't you do it? You've got plenty already."

So here goes. I'm going to see how long it will take me to feed the two of us with only what I have in the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. I think if I have to "cheat" at all, it will be next week, and I'll be wanting some fresh produce. But until then, I have a LOT, as my post below shows.

Anyone want to join me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cheat and add fresh produce to my stuff, but I love the off-the-cuff pantry creating. It's fun!

I'm following so I can see what you come up with. I can't wait!

Unknown said...

Good Luck with your challenge. Ive often thought to do something similar with my pantry, but I think the kids would revolt too much. This will be fun to follow along.

Anonymous said...

OOOO- that sounds like fun! We do this once a month. I call it my Iron Chef home edition because at the end of the month we can't buy anything else and must use what we have until we get paid. I actually find I make more creative things when I am forced to use what I have than when I can buy whatever I want. I can't wait to see what you come up with!