Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Grilled Pear and Cheddar Stuffed Pork Tenderloins

I subscribe to dozens and dozens of food blogs on Google Reader. One that I have discovered lately is by Heather, a Canadian living in Bangkok, Thailand. She has some fabulous recipes on The Culinary Chase, and I tried this one tonight. I prepared it the night before, my first time to
butterfly a pork tenderloin. I almost totally messed this up, because I noticed one spot where the cheese was oozing through while it was grilling. It was nice to come home and throw it on the grill without having to do all the cutting, filling and wrapping up.












Grilled Pear and Cheddar Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
from Heather of The Culinary Chase
1 tablespoon (15mL) fresh rosemary leaves
3 tablespoon (45mL) extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 small pork tenderloins
1 Bartlett or Anjou pear, sliced thin
4 ounces (120g) 1-year-old cheddar cheese, sliced
6 slices prosciutto

Purée rosemary and oil in the blender and season. Cut tenderloins open lengthwise and brush inside with rosemary purée. Cover with overlapping slices of pear and cheddar. Close up tenderloins and brush outside with rosemary purée. Roll each tenderloin up in 3 slices of prosciutto, tie or close with big toothpicks that have been soaked in water. Season.

Oil the grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Cook tenderloins 4 to 5 minutes per side for meat with a hint of pink. Remove from heat, tent with foil and let stand about 5 minutes before serving. Slice and serve with grilled vegetables and herbed noodles.

Notes:
The Culinary Chase's Note: I stuffed the tenderloin with the prosciutto and the flavors coming from the pear and cheddar make this tenderloin absolutely delicious! Instead of making the purée, finely chop the rosemary and mix in a bowl. Use a pastry brush to slather this on the pork and enjoy a more rustic taste.

Cyndi's Note: I used ham, since I didn't have prosciutto, and served this with roasted potatoes (for Don) and turnip greens.

Thanks, Heather, for a great dish!

4 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That meal sounds like a winner. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I will be following yours.

Donna-FFW said...

I love pork tenderloin, I have never made one stuffed. This looks fantastic, utterly delicious, Cyndi!!

The Culinary Chase said...

Hi Cyndi! Thanks so much for choosing a recipe from my blog! From your photos, looks like everything turned out well & how smart are you to prepare the night before! Good one! Cheers!

theUngourmet said...

Hi Cyndi!

This tenderloin looks so delicious! I would love to try it!

In answer to the cucumber question, I put it into the dressing and added a little more as a garnish along with the lettuce and tomato.

Thanks for visiting me!