Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A new way to use ground beef

I have about 80 blogs I follow on Google Reader, most of them cross stitch or quilting blogs. The other day, one of them (I cannot remember which one) mentioned loose meat sandwiches. Huh? I thought these were sloppy joes. Wrong! Sloppy joes have a tomato-ey sauce - these have no sauce at all. I did a little research and found several different recipes, and learned that loose meat sandwiches are common in Iowa and Missouri. With a little tweaking for my own tastes, and wanting to still stay as true to the recipes I found, I came up with this one. We will definitely be having this again!

Loose Meat Sandwiches

½ teaspoon salt
½ pound lean ground beef
½ small onion, chopped
1 ½ teaspoon prepared mustard
1 ½ teaspoon white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
½ cup water
salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle the bottom of a heavy medium skillet with salt, and preheat the skillet over high heat. Break the ground beef up into the skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook the meat, breaking it up into smaller pieces as you go. The meat must end up being cooked into small crumbles. When meat is browned, add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and water. Reduce heat to medium, and continue to cook until water has cooked off, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toast the hamburger buns if that's the way you like them, and prepare them with some mustard and dill pickles. Add a good amount of the meat (this recipe will make enough for three sandwiches) and enjoy.

No comments: