Thursday, April 03, 2008

Wurstsalat and Baked Apples

We had a simple dinner tonight - wurstsalat the way Don likes it, with rye bread, and some baked apples for dessert. While I prefer fleishsalat, with its blend of meat, cheese, pickle, onion, tomato, and vinegar, Don prefers wurstsalat. It's made using ring bologna.

Wurstsalat

1 ring bologna, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2-3 small tomatoes, halved and sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste


Combine all ingredients. Serve with rye bread. Makes 4 servings.



I put dessert in the oven before I made dinner, and we enjoyed baked apples while helping to heat the house (it's still chilly up here in the mountains!). I saw this recipe yesterday on Frugal Friends in the Kitchen, a Yahoo group I belong to, and knew I had to make it as soon as possible. I used Braeburn apples instead of the Rome Beauty, but they're just as good for baking.

Maple Glazed Baked Apples

from Russie on Frugal Friends in the Kitchen

4 Rome Beauty or Braeburn apples
½ cup raisins
½ cup light brown sugar
⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup apple juice
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Core apples, leaving bottoms intact.* Peel top half of apples. Arrange apples in
8X8 inch baking pan. Combine raisins, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon. Spoon
mixture into apples, mounding over top of apples and letting excess fall into
pan. Pour apple juice into bottom of pan. Combine maple syrup and butter and spoon over top of apples. Cover pan with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 55 min. or until apples are tender. Serves 4

*I cored them all the way through, and they came out fine. Also, I used a Corningware casserole dish with lid instead of a pan with foil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These baked apples sound amazing :)! I just went apple picking, so it'd be a great way to use up the apples!