Friday, February 01, 2008

Bento and Barbecue

This bento is my "fruit basket" box, and I took more little sausages and barbecue sauce, 3-bean salad, and dried mangos. I'll be able to start having some variety next week since I went to the commissary today and got some more staples and supplies. The term for my bento-making "stash" is Johbisai (also spelled Joubisai) - in Japanese it's 常備菜. This weekend I'll be cooking some things to put in the freezer - things like mini-pancakes, Jimmy Dean sausage patties, pain perdu (recipe will follow), and other breakfast items, as well as some rice, soboro and furikake. I think I'll try Maki's Sweet and Salty Bacon Furikake and her Meat Soboro. I don't care for Nori or fish, so using bacon and beef sounds good to me!

Dinner tonight is a recipe I got from one of my sisters - a quick way to use crescent rolls. This was easy to put together and takes only about 20 minutes (max) to bake. No pic, though.

Beef and Cheese Foldover
from my sister Eileen

3/4 - 1 lb. lean ground beef
1/3 cup chopped onion (about half a small onion)
1/2 - 3/4 cup barbecue sauce (I use Bullseye)
2 8-count rolls refrigerated crescent rolls
4 slices American, Velveeta, or cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 375˚. In a large skillet, crumble ground beef and cook with onion until meat is browned. Stir in barbecue sauce. On a large cookie sheet* unroll the crescent rolls into two squares; place side by side to form a long rectangle. Press seams and edges together. Spread meat mixture onto crescent rolls, leaving about 1/2 inch on the ends and 4-5 inches on the sides. Lay the slices of cheese on top of the meat. Fold sides of pastry towards the middle (it can still be open), pressing to seal the ends. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.

* If you're using a stoneware cooking sheet, you'll need to use a longer cooking time to ensure that the bottom gets cooked. If you're using a metal cooking sheet, you'll need to watch it to make sure the bottom doesn't burn. Serves 4-6.

No comments: