Saturday, June 23, 2007

On the Road Again!

Thanks to WiFi, I'm posting this from the Beaver, Utah KOA, about 450 miles from home on the way to Montana! Thanks to our daughter's quicker-than-expected recovery, we were able to leave this morning and head north. We left town at 5 am, had breakfast at Peggy Sue's Diner east of Barstow, lunch in Mesquite, and made it in to the KOA at 4 pm. It's HOT here, but we now have a trailer with a real air conditioner in it (instead of our old popup), and the heat's not bothering us at all. It's started to cool down a little, and we might be able to sleep with the windows open. It doesn't matter either way.

Dinner was hot dogs, but I made some spicy cole slaw to go with it that I thought I'd post about. Two weeks ago I had something similar, made by a colleague, and decided I'd try to duplicate it. It's simple - and since it doesn't use mayonnaise like my regular cole slaw, it's a nice change.

Spicy Cole Slaw


3 teaspoons sugar or Splenda granular
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons vinegar

Whisk together sugar, red pepper, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar, and pour over cabbage and carrots. Toss to combine. Serves 2.


Our plan is to make it to either Brigham City, Pocatello, or Idaho Falls tomorrow - it all depends on how Don feels when we get there. Then on Monday, we'll make it to our first long stay - Sula, Montana. I'll tell you all about it when we get there.

I also want to share this pic of T - only one week after having surgery she was shopping with me and using the motorized cart to get around the store. Doesn't she look great?!

3 comments:

Dagny said...

Woohoo summer! That slaw sounds great. And T is looking sporty on the motorized cart.

Kalyn Denny said...

Guess what, my dad was born in Beaver, Utah and a lot of my ancestors are buried there.

Toni said...

Enjoy ever moment of this trip - what a gift it is to have T up and scooting around stores with you!