Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

One of my favorite breakfast restaurants is a great cafe in Yucaipa called Kopper Kettle. I have breakfast with a few friends every Friday morning, and it's also the place where our bargaining team eats every negotiations day. A few years ago, they started to make pumpkin pancakes during the fall, and they were so popular that they now are a permanent item on the menu.

Kopper Kettle's pumpkin pancakes are served with a fabulous toffee butter sauce, which the waitress tells me is made the same way you make Hollandaise - with egg yolks and butter, but then lots of sugar - brown sugar, I think. I don't know, and I don't want to know, since I can use up a day's worth of carbs in one serving.

I've decided to eat my pumpkin pancakes with sugar-free maple "syrup," and have found both Mrs. Butterworth's and Log Cabin brands to be pretty good. I've tried Carey's, and it's a little medicinal. I found a good recipe for whole wheat pancakes, and have made up a big batch so Don can have leftovers (in bags in the freezer).

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

2 cups white whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. In a medium size bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, olive oil and pumpkin puree. Mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine well. Cook pancakes on a hot griddle.

2 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

That really does sound good!
You'll like this: I'm reading your story about the cafe deciding to serve the pancakes year-round, and I imagine that in the fall, they must have to lay in a pretty good supply of pumpkins and freeze the pulp, and -- D'oh! Canned. :D

Dagny said...

I love pumpkin pancakes but only seem to think about them in the fall. I too like mine with maple syrup -- and sometimes with a sprinkling of chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts, on top as well.