Saturday, January 14, 2006

WHB # 15

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com


Molly's Trunk


This is Molly, a giant incense cedar (Caolcedrus decurrens) who lives up against my cabin. I named her a year ago when I had to do an assignment in my environmental ed class. She’s over a hundred years old; she was large back in 1930 when this cabin was built around her. As the years have gone by the girth of her trunk hasn’t increased enough to cause us to worry about damage to the house, but we do feel her a couple of times a year when big winds blow.

Molly's Branches

Molly is home to a family of raccoons–a mother and two youngsters, who often clamber down to play on the roof or in the back yard at night. In this picture they’re not there; I think they have several places they call home and they’re visiting one of the other ones right now.

3 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Very fun. I think this is our first tree, let alone a tree with a name.

cookiecrumb said...

I heard pine needles are rich in Vitamin C! Ever tried that?
(Er, well. Is cedar pine?)
Hail, Molly.

Kalyn Denny said...

Oh, the logo looks very nice on your blog. For some reason it doesn't seem to copy well in some systems. Maybe it's because my brother created it on Mac and you use Mac. There is so much to learn about all this.