Sunday, January 08, 2006

The End of the Weekend Approaches

I love sleeping late! This morning I didn’t get up until 7:30. After my first cup of coffee I decided to fix Huevos Rancheros. I make my own, based on some I was served at the Embassy Suites in Palm Desert. Any time I go to a restaurant that serves breakfast, I check their menu to see how they fix their Huevos Rancheros. Most of them don’t do it right. The word Rancheros implies a ranchero sauce, yet a lot of restaurants put salsa on their eggs instead of ranchero sauce. Very few of them use cheese, and I believe the cheese is important to the recipe. I could fix this every weekend, DH says, though I know he’d get tired of it if I did.

Huevos Rancheros

Huevos Rancheros

Ranchero Sauceo

1/4 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped bell pepper
1 T diced pickled jalapeño (don’t use fresh–they’re too hot!)
1/2 t vegetable oil
1 t chicken bouillon powder
1 10-oz. can mild or medium enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso)
1/3 c water

In a small saucepan, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until tender. Add jalapeño, bouillon powder, enchilada sauce, and water. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Store leftovers in freezer until next time. This recipe makes enough for 4-6 servings of Huevos Rancheros, depending on how much you use.

Putting it all together:

Put two 6-inch corn tortillas on a hot griddle or skillet. Sprinkle with some cheddar cheese. In another small skillet, cook two eggs “over easy” or “over medium.” Remove tortillas to your plate when cheese is melted. Top with the eggs, and then put Ranchero sauce over the eggs. We usually have this with some hash brown potatoes.


I had intended to get some scrapbooking done today, but remembered that I have a deadline to meet regarding interviews for state assembly and senate and U. S. Congress. So, I spent several hours getting organized and sending e-mails. By the time I was finished, it was time to fix dinner. I had some carrots left over from Rep Council earlier this week, so I shredded them up and made Karottensalat (German Carrot Salad). It’s a simple mixture of carrots, vinegar, water oil, and now Splenda, since I switched from sugar. I got this recipe from Frau Nagel, our landlord’s wife in Kleinbundenbach, Germany. She knew how to make salads from every vegetable imaginable.


Karottensalat

Karottensalat (German Carrot Salad)

3 c shredded carrots
3 T Splenda
3 T vinegar
3 T water
2 T vegetable oil

Mix together all ingredients. Chill until serving.

Next, I prepared the fish. DH had gone deep-sea fishing out of Oceanside a few months ago, and brought home 10 large barracuda, already filleted into 20 large fillets. I cut them all in half, since they were very long, and froze them.

Up until recently I’ve avoided eating fresh fish. I think I was turned off by the smell of catfish caught out of a not-too-clean lake. I’ve since learned that ocean fish don’t have that taste (and catfish out of Lake Mead in the winter is good, too!), and now look forward to eating it. I always cook it this way: “fried” in the oven. It’s low in fat and carbs, and has that crunchy outside that I like. DH and I don’t like sautéed, broiled, or poached fish. His favorite way used to be fried, but now this way is is favorite.

Oven-Fried Fish

Crispy Oven-Fried Fish

1 lb. white fish fillets, cut into 4 equal pieces
1/3 c Eggbeaters
1/2 c corn flake crumbs
1 t ground paprika
1-2 t Mrs. Dash
nonstick cooking spray

Rinse fish with cool water and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the egg substitute in a shallow bowl. Place the corn flake crumbs and seasonings in another shallow bowl, and stir to mix well. Dip the fish pieces first in the egg substitute and then in the crumb mixture, turning to coat both sides well. Coat a medium-sized baking sheet with cooking spray, and arrange the fish pieces on the sheet in a single layer. Spray the tops with cooking spray, and bake at 450˚ for about 15 minutes, or until the outside is crisp and golden and fish flakes easily with a fork. 4 servings

Hope you enjoy it!

, , , ,

3 comments:

ostwestwind said...

What is splenda?

I make my "Karottensalat" with lemon juice, sugar and a teaspoon of oil, to get the vitamins.

Cyndi said...

Splenda is an artificial sweetener that is becoming more and more popular here in the US because it tastes more like sugar. I used to make my karottensalat with sugar, but needed to eliminate the sugar, and switched to Splenda. I'll send you a link.

Patti said...

Cyndi, those eggs look good! Thanks for posting, I may try that next Sunday!

P.S. Pepper is a cutie! I made my post for WDB then forgot to e-mail Sweetnicks!