Monday, January 30, 2006

Crispy Oven-Fried Fish, Broccoli Casserole

Since we had to use up another package of the barracuda that was in the freezer, I asked DH to thaw some and then cut the skin off for me. When he catches it, it’s filleted for him, but it still has the skin attached so the fish and game folks verify that you’ve obeyed the rules and don’t have too much of one kind of fish. The fish is a recipe I’ve made before, Crispy Oven-Fried Fish. When I got home this evening, all I had to do was steam the broccoli for the casserole, mix up the ingredients, dip and coat the fish, and throw both pans in the oven.

The first time I fixed a broccoli casserole, it had much more fat in it, and I thought I could change the ingredients to make it lower in fat and calories, yet still taste good. What I’ve come up with is all that. We like the addition of the water chestnuts as they give it a good crunch.

Broccoli Casserole

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

3 -4 bunches broccoli (about 1 3/4 lb.)
1 10-3/4-oz. can fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 4-oz can lowfat or nonfat evaporated milk
(could use regular lowfat or nonfat milk)
1 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 c shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
1/4 c bacon bits (I use the real ones made by Hormel or Oscar Mayer)

In a large covered pot, steam the broccoli for 7 minutes in 1 inch of water. Drain, and place in a 13 x 9” baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk together the soup and milk. Stir in remaining ingredients, and pour evenly over broccoli. Bake at 350-375˚ 20-25 minutes. Makes about 6 servings.


, ,,
,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyndi,

Great post! I am always looking for ways to prepare broccoli and this looks great!

Michele said...

Mmmm!!! Looks so good, broccoli is my absolute favorite.