Friday, January 13, 2006

Blog Party #6

Over on Dispensing Happiness Stephanie hosts a blog party every month, each one with a different theme. This month’s theme is retro, so I searched my files for recipes that could be considered “retro.” I started with the appetizer, and came up with a bean dip that my mother made while I was a kid. My brother Chuck decided it was so good that we’d have it almost every Friday night. It’s easy to make; uses true “retro” ingredients, and tastes wonderful!

Chuck’s Bean Dip

1 can condensed bean with bacon soup
3/4 cup Velveeta cheese, cut in cubes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small fresh jalapeño, finely diced

Mix undiluted soup with Velveeta, garlic powder, and jalapeños. Heat over low fire and serve hot. This works well in one of those miniature crockpots.

Next, I looked for what could be considered a “retro” drink. Having no idea, really, what I could make, I remembered that my ski trips in college always included Hot Buttered Rum. This mixture is truly decadent (try eating it with a spoon!), and always hits the spot when it’s cold and snowy outside. It’s definitely not for diabetics or people trying to watch their sugar.

Hot Buttered Rum Mix for a Crowd

1 lb. brown sugar
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 lb. butter
1 qt vanilla ice cream
1 t allspice
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
rum

Mix all ingredients except rum. Heat very slowly until mixture is like thin cake batter. Remove from heat; cool. Cover and freeze. When ready to serve, put 2 teaspoons frozen mixture in a mug, add 1 1/2 oz of rum. Fill remainder of cup with hot water and stir to melt frozen mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

I hope that while we're "circulating" and getting to know each other, some of you try my dip and drink! Hope you enjoy it!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cyndi...it's perfect!

Condensed soup and Velveeta? You definitely got in the spirit of the event! Thanks so much for coming to the party!!

ostwestwind said...

Do you think it's ok, if I participate with German retro recipes?

cookiecrumb said...

Undiluted condensed bean with bacon soup?
INSPIRED.
You poor kids; did your mom not know about Rosarita refried beans? :D
(Bean with Bacon soup was my hands-down favorite as a kid. That odd, slippery mouth-feel.)