Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Migas - my way

I've "discovered" - or maybe "created" a new breakfast for Don and me. In one of the novels I was reading last week, a character made some migas, and the dish sounded like something I wanted to try. The basic concept of migas is that it's made with tortilla strips, chorizo, and eggs, and some recipes add other ingredients such as cheese, salsa, green chilies, bell peppers, and onions.  I like Jimmy Dean pork sausage, and have used it (with some chili powder added) as a tasty chorizo substitute.

I was given some thick, homemade corn tortillas by a friend a couple of weeks ago, and decided to use some of them in this recipe. (I keep them in the freezer, and take them out as needed.) The steps I used when Don and I had this for breakfast this morning had me blending everything together at the end, and that caused the tortilla strips to lose their crispiness.  We both decided we wanted them crispy, so my solution is to cook them separately, plate them, and then put everything else on top of the tortilla strips.

Migas

2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil

2 corn tortillas, cut in 1-2" thin strips
4 oz. bulk breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1-2 tablespoons chili powder (I used 1 this morning, and decided it wasn't enough.)
4 eggs
grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese

Heat oil in a medium skillet.  Add the tortilla strips. Cook, stirring, until strips are crispy. Divide the strips between two plates.  In the same skillet, brown sausage with the onions, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. When it's nearly done, sprinkle with chili powder and finish browning the sausage. Add the eggs - just break them right into the sausage mixture. Cook, stirring, until eggs are done. Divide between the two plates, putting eggs over tortilla chips. Sprinkle with grated cheese.  Enjoy!

Variations:  add bell peppers or green chilies to the sausage-onion mixture

3 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Cyndi, this sounds delicious. I have to give this a try. I am new to your blog so I took sometime to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

lisa0116 said...

Cyndi, Try using Chorizo sausage instead of the Jimmy dean...also leave out the chili powder when you use the chorizo. This is a popular Mexican dish for breakfast. My husband taught me to make this when we first got married. He used to live in Texas on the border. We just heat the whole corn tortilla up in another frying pan..no oil needed..then wrap the egg/chorizo mixture in them. Cheese is also good added to the eggs..can also add peppers and onions. Must top with salsa too! Oh..mushrooms are also good in it. LOL! These are really good.

Lisa in Georgia

P.S. I have joined your bust the stash in the kitchen project. You inspired me.

Cyndi said...

Lisa, I tried to respond to you directly, but your profile is blocked. As for chorizo, I'm a very stubborn person when it comes to JJimmy Dean. I've tried chorizo, and the 3 different brands I've tried were good, but not the taste I want. I'm actually making a version of chorizo when I add the chili powder to the JD. And I like my JD so much in biscuits and gravy, I refuse to eat biscuits and gravy in restaurants. Have fun with the kitchen stash busting!