Monday, March 20, 2006

Texas Goulash

I haven’t posted for a while since I either haven’t been home or haven’t cooked or have been too busy. This past weekend, I went to the Universal Sheraton in Hollywood, where my teachers’ association was co-hosting a small leadership conference with four other associations. I was a trainer, and conducted a workshop called “The Role of the Rep and Advocacy.”

I went into LA Friday afternoon, making a stop at the Whole Foods Market in Glendale. There I bought some more white whole wheat flour, some wine, and a loaf of Organic Wolfgang bread--what I’d call a Mischbrot in Germany. Sort of like a light rye. Friday evening I joined several colleagues at the Karl Strauss Brewery for dinner.

Saturday was the main part of our conference, and after the workshops we had a reception at Cafe Tu Tu Tango on Universal City Walk. We had the whole second floor to ourselves, with our own bar, and they served all kinds of finger foods. There was spinach dip and pita crisps, terkyaki beef skewers, bean and cheese empanadas, southwest egg rolls, chicken skewers, and some bread pudding with dulce de leche sauce. I wanted to grab the bowl of dulce de leche sauce and eat it with a spoon! This was the sauce that’s made by cooking the heck out of sweetened condensed milk until it’s light brown. Yum!!! But I was good, and had only a little bit.

I came home Sunday to another foot of snow, and then it snowed another 6 inches last night. It’s snowing tonight. DH is now yelling at the weatherman on TV as if it’s his fault that we’re having all this snow. He’s tired of shoveling. But he was so wonderful to get up and shovel a path to my Jeep this morning, and to clean off my windshield and send me on my way! So I rewarded him tonight with one of his favorites.


This is another “heirloom” recipe from my mother. Like the Southern Frank Dinner, DH douses this one liberally with Tabasco, and I do my best to not sit downwind. (Just can’t stand the smell of Tabasco) Mother used to make this often since it is economical, and doubling it or tripling it lets it feed a great deal of people. You can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef, which I have done in the past with no noticeable taste difference, and you can substitute whole wheat pasta to make it a bit healthier.

Texas Goulash

8 oz. elbow macaroni
3/4 lb. ground beef
1/3 c chopped onion
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 small. can tomato paste
1/2 to 3/4 c cubed Velveeta cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Boil and drain macaroni. In same pan, brown the ground beef and onion. Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat until cheese is melted. Add macaroni back to pot; heat through. Makes 6 servings.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would be a good replacement for Velveeta cheese? I have never heard of that could I use cheddar, monterey jack or a good swiss cheese like emmentaler?

Cyndi said...

I'd try a mild cheddar or monterey jack. You want something that melts easily into the mixture. Velveeta is a processed cheese spread--sort of like American cheese.