Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Lemon Chicken and Roasted Vegetables

Doctor appointment today. Checkup. Words of encouragement and praise gave me the uplift I needed to keep trying to fight this battle of weight and blood sugar. So tonight’s dinner was low carb and healthy, like all my dinners should be, but aren’t.

My sister Eileen is two years younger than I am, and lives in Lubbock, Texas. She gave me this recipe about 15 years ago, and it’s one of my favorite ways to fix chicken when I’m in a hurry. Tonight I wanted a quick meal, so I chopped up some veggies for roasted vegetables, and made Eileen’s Lemon Chicken. It’s a different lemon chicken, in that it’s slightly sweet, with a bit of tasty sauce that goes on top after the liquid cooks down.

Eileen’s Lemon Chicken



2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 c lemon juice
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t salt
2 T vegetable or olive oil
1/2 c chicken broth
3 green onions, chopped (including green part)
1 T Splenda Brown Sugar Blend (or 2 T brown sugar)
1 T grated lemon peel

Cut each chicken breast lengthwise into 3 smaller pieces. Brush each piece with some of the lemon juice. Combine flour, paprika and salt in a plastic bag and shake each piece in the flour mixture until coated. Brown chicken on both sides in hot oil. Reduce heat; add chicken broth, green onions, brown sugar blend, lemon peel, and any leftover lemon juice. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Serves 2.

Roasted Vegetables



2 yellow squashed, cut in strips
1 onion, sliced vertically
1 bell pepper, cut in strips
1 c fresh mushrooms, cut in half
1 c carrots, cut in half
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed through press
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 450˚. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and spread on a cookie sheet. Bake 25 minutes.

, ,,
,

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

Both dishes look very yummy, especially the chicken.

Thanks for sharing