Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl-Super Eating

After making Ruth’s Best Ever Chili yesterday, I had about 3/4 of a pound of ground pork left over. Instead of freezeing it for later, I decided to make some chorizo for today’s breakfast. I added what I thought were the right spices, and came up with some great flavor to put in Sausage-Egg Quesadillas. I’ve made them before using Jimmy Dean sausage, but this time I used the sausage I made from scratch.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

Here’s what I did:

Chorizo from Scratch

3/4 lb. ground fresh pork
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 T chile powder
1/4 t thyme
1 t sage
1 t salt
1 t cumin
crushed red pepper to taste (I used 1 teaspoon, which made it nice and spicy)

Mix all ingredients by hand (and I mean bare hand). Either form in patties for frying or crumble and cook for breakfast quesadillas or burritos.

Lunch was one of my favorite camping meals. Before I put the rest of the whole-wheat tortillas in the freezer after breafast, I used one to make an apple-peanut butter quesadilla. No recipe needed here--just spread your favorite peanut butter, creamy or crunchy, on a whole-wheat tortilla, and add some sliced apples. I prefer granny smith, because the sweetness of the peanut butter brings out the sweetness of the apples, and I love the crispness of granny smith apples. I’ve decided to create a separate category over on the right side for foods that are great camping. By that I mean that they are either cooked in skillets and pots, without a stove, or are eaten cold. Also, they’re dishes that we’ve been eating while camping for the past 25 years. So they’re definitely tried and true!

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
Apple-Peanut Butter Quesadillas

Dinner tonight was a reprise (for me) of flavors I’d had last weekend at James’ Beach. Remember my fabulous meal of calves’ liver with pancetta and onions? I told DH about it, and he said, “We haven’t had calves’ liver in years. When can we have some?” We hadn’t had it in years because our children hated liver--beef, calf, chicken–but now they’re gone and we can enjoy it again. So tonight I made fried calves’ liver with bacon and sautéed onions. On the side, since DH requested it, was Salzkartoffeln mit Dill (boiled new potatoes with dill). We also had our favorite salad, mixed spring greens, grape tomatoes, blue cheese, pine nuts, and a simple balsamic vinaigrette.

Calves’ Liver with Bacon and Onion

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

2 small onions, sliced vertically across the rings
1 T olive oil
4 slices bacon
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 thin slices calves’ liver

In a medium skillet, sauté the onion slowly over medium to medium-low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until tender, golden, and partially caramelized. Meanwhile, in another skillet, fry the bacon until crisp; drain on a paper towel. When onions are done, turn heat down as low as possible to keep warm. Reheat the bacon grease still left in the second skillet. Put the flour, salt, and pepper in a small plate. Dredge the liver in the flour and fry 1-2 minutes on each side. Blot with paper towel; serve topped with bacon and onions.

Salzkartoffeln mit Dill (Boiled New Potatoes with Dill)

2 small (about 3” in diameter) red potatoes per person
2 T butter
1 t dried dill
salt

Boil potatoes in their jackets (peel away cuts and eyes) until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Add butter and put lid on pot until butter melts. Stir potatoes until coated evenly with butter. Sprinkle with dill and salt to taste.

That's enough of the high-fat cooking for a while. But sometimes you just can't help yourself!

, ,

2 comments:

ostwestwind said...

Yummy, liver! I hadn't liver for ages. I like it with onions and apples.

cookiecrumb said...

Wow, Cyndi, that's a lot of cooking. (Well, not in the case of the not-cooked peanut-butter "quesadilla." Cute.)
My dad always adds a little trickle of vinegar to his homemade chorizo; sound good? Mexican oregano, too, I'm pretty sure.
Cranky added chorizo to his chili yesterday; mmm!