Saturday, February 11, 2006

Chicken Paprika

Yesterday’s dinner was a series of mishaps that fortunately resulted in a tasty dinner. DH spent the whole day working on the back fence that had blown down last month, and I had worked all day in the office, ending the day with two unpleasant (uncomfortable) meetings in which I represented two teachers while they were being either chastised (the first) or given an unsatisfactory evaluation (the second). So both of us were exhausted, and even though I did tell DH to take out some boneless thighs to thaw, he took out some boneless breasts. Oh well, I thought, I’ll just cook the same recipe (Chicken Paprika); the chicken will just be a bit drier. Everything went well until it was time to stir in the sour cream/flour mixture. I didn’t take the chicken out this time, thinking that I could stir everything up together. While I was stirring, using a gravy whisk, one of the pieces of chicken breast literally disintegrated into the sauce. My sauce, instead of being smooth and creamy, was lumpy and gritty. Since my dish turned out orange from the paprika, I thought I’d use it for the next Weekend Cookbook Challenge. But the batteries had died! I didn’t want to eat my dinner after DH had already finished his, so I didn’t get a picture.

It tasted good, though--and here’s the recipe:

Chicken Paprika

1/4 c butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 t sweet paprika
1 c chicken broth (or 1 c water + 1 t chicken bouillon powder)
2 t flour
1 c light or regular sour cream

Dry chicken with paper towels. Heat butter. When bubbling, add chopped onion and sauté slowly until soft (do not brown). Add chicken and sauté slowly, turning often, until bright yellow. Sprinkle with paprika; stir through onions until all pieces are coated. Sauté 3 or 4 minutes more. Add broth; bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until done (30-35 minutes). When chicken is done, remove from pan. Blend flour and sour cream; stir into broth until thickened. Return chicken to pan; simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve over noodles. 3-4 servings.

, ,,

3 comments:

MizD said...

Oh wow! My mom used to make this years ago, and I'd completely forgotten about it till just now.

Oh, and I tagged ya for the 4x8 meme! Linkie here: http://www.belly-timber.com/mt/archives/2006/02/eek_a_meme_part_1.html
:-)

Cyndi said...

My mom used to make this with whole chicken pieces; I like it better with the boneless. Thanks for the tag. I"ll work on it soon!

Tamás said...

yay, a recipe from home, Hungary! lovely! thanks for every bit :-)