Sunday, February 12, 2006

Can I Have Seconds?

We started off the day with a recipe I’ve had for a long time but never made–once upon a time I collected healthy recipes, but never used them. Now that I’ve gotten back into trying to cook and eat healthier, especially low carb, I’ve gone through my files and brought out some of those oldies.

Blueberry-Yogurt Pancakes

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com

1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder
1 c skim or lowfat milk
2 4-oz. containers Dannon low-carb/low-sugar vanilla yogurt
1/4 c Eggbeaters
1 1/4 c fresh or frozen blueberries

Mix flour and baking powder. Add milk, yogurt, and egg substitute, and mix with a wire whisk to blend well. Fold in blueberries. Cook on griddle sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Makes 12 to 14 4-inch pancakes

I ate mine with sugar-free syrup, but I’m sure they would be just as good with other toppings. DH used his favorite, Log Cabin. I sure miss Log Cabin, but there’s just way too much sugar in it for me. I’m starting to get used to the sugar-free stuff.

I spent another long day on the computer working on my thesis, and posted the third chapter, though it’s still not finished. I’ve been enlisting the support of a group of people who post regularly on the San Gorgonio Wilderness Backcountry Bulletin Board, who can give me information about places and conditions up in the high country where I haven’t gone. Having my thesis posted on its own blog lets them read it and give input. I really am looking forward to getting this thing finished.

Here’s tonight’s dinner:

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com
Orange Pork Chops, Brown Rice, and Sautéed Spinach


Orange Pork Chops

2 thick boneless pork chops (about 3/4” thick)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 c flour
1 T butter
1/2 c orange juice
1/2 c dry white wine
2 T orange marmalade (I used Smucker’s spreadable fruit)
2 t cornstarch
2 T water
1 4-oz container mandarin oranges, drained

Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Dredge chops lightly in flour, shaking off excess. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add chops and cook, turning frequently, until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. Stir in orange juice, wine, and marmalade. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently 20-25 minutes, turning once. Transfer chops to platter and keep warm. Mix cornstarch and water; add to sauce. Continue cooking until thickened. Stir in mandarin oranges; heat through. Spoon sauce over chops. Serve with brown or white rice. Serves 2.

Sautéd Spinach

1 T olive oil
1 small clove garlic, crushed/pressed through garlic sieve
1 7-10-oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach

Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet. Add spinach; toss gently until spinach is cooked through. Serve immediately. Serves 2.

, ,,
,

7 comments:

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joe said...

Were the pancakes heavy at all with using all WW flour? I like the idea of using yogurt in them

Cyndi said...

I was pleasantly surprised at how light they were. I used white whole wheat flour that I got at the Whole Foods Market, but I think that's just the color, not the weight. One thing I really liked was that when you cut a small wedge, you could pick it up with your fork without it disintegrating like some pancakes do. And DH ate EIGHT of them, so they couldn't have been THAT heavy! Give 'em a try and let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Yum... the pancakes sound great! They look pretty fluffy too!

Anonymous said...

Do you really eat blueberry pancakes with sausages?

Cyndi said...

Yes, we do. Lots of people eat different kinds of breakfast sausages with their pancakes. These sausages, which are sometimes links, sometimes patties, are different from sausages that are eaten at lunch or dinner. Most American restaurants offer breakfast sausages as an alternative to bacon.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember know the problems I had with American breakfasts :-).