Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Zucchini Casserole

My sister-in-law Carol sent me her squash casserole recipe, and I tinkered around with it and came up with a very similar one for zucchini. I added some cheese and a crumb topping, and sautéed the onions that went in it, to avoid the raw taste that sometimes comes with adding frozen chopped onions to things. (I usually use frozen chopped onion, since there's always some in my freezer.) This one came out very nice--since it's got some eggs in it, it's very light and fluffy.

Zucchini Casserole

IMG_0671

3 lbs. zucchini
1/4 c butter
1/2 c chopped onion
3 eggs, beaten
2 T cornstarch
5 oz. can evaporated milk
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 T sugar or Splenda granular
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
 
Preheat oven to 425˚. Wash and slice zucchini and boil until tender, about 8 minutes. While squash is boiling, sauté the onion in the butter. Drain the squash well, slightly mash and mix with onion and remaining ingredients. Bake in a 12 x 7" baking dish 35-40 minutes. You could add a crumb topping of crushed Ritz crackers or saltines, mixed with a tablespoon of butter. I used 10 Ritz crackers and 1/4 cup of panko break crumbs, since that's all the crackers I had.

No comments: