Saturday, October 14, 2006

Another "Lost" Recipe?

While I was exploring other food blogs this evening, I read a post on Michelle’s blog, The Accidental Scientist. She wrote about her grandmother’s Date Loaf Cake, and I was going to write a comment about my own grandmother’s Date Loaf Candy. Before I could type my comment, I saw a comment by vlb5757 of The Moveable Feast, in which she wrote about losing her grandmother’s Date Loaf Candy recipe when her grandmother passed away. Well, I’m going to post MY grandmother’s recipe, and I hope it’s the same one. Even if it’s not, this is some darn good candy. I grew up eating it every Christmas, and when I got married I made it for DH, who declared that I have to keep making it every year. I agreed, as long as he takes a good turn at the “beating till dull” stage. It makes your arms pretty tired, but the work is definitely worth it! When my son comes home on leave next month, he’ll be here for Thanksgiving. So I plan to make it then, and will post a photograph.

Date Loaf Candy

3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. butter
1 12-oz. box dates, chopped
1 cup pecans, chopped

In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, milk, water, and butter. Bring to a boil, and add dates slowly, stirring constantly over medium heat. Cook until soft ball stage (drop a small amount from a spoon into a bowl of cold water–you should be able to pick it up and form a small ball with your fingers). Remove from heat, and stir until mixture turns dull and stiff. (This takes a long time, especially if you’re using a heavy heat-retaining pot like Calphalon). Stir in the nuts. Turn mixture out onto a clean damp cloth placed on a cookie sheet; mold into a long log about 3-4 inches in diameter. Keep log wrapped in cloth, and place the cookie sheet into the refrigerator until log is firm. Slice in 1/4” slices. Store, covered, in refrigerator.

I hope this is the recipe you’re looking for!

No comments: