Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Introduction to Kale

I think this is the way to begin eating a new food - have it as a part of a recipe. Our basket this morning came with kale, and since I also got a volunteer's share, I came home with 2 bunches. Tomorrow we'll eat the two bunches, but I used a couple of leaves off of one of them for this dish. I was also able to incorporate the mushrooms and 2 of the zucchini from the basket as well.

Winter Vegetable Hash

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
½ lb. fresh mushrooms, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 pinch salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 cup chopped kale
4 sprigs fresh sage (I used 1 teaspoon of dried sage)

Place oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Melt butter and mix in potatoes, mushrooms, pepper, squash, and shallot. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Mix kale and sage into skillet. Continue cooking 5 minutes, until kale is wilted. Serve and enjoy!


Don and I really liked this one. We've decided that it will go great with fish (tonight we had it with good ole hot dogs). Now I'm not afraid to try the kale in a recipe that will actually feature it. So tomorrow or Monday, I'll be making something new. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kale is great in a bean soup too and oh, so healthy. I always cut the leaf off the rib. That's pretty chewy. Glad you're enjoying it.