Saturday, November 22, 2008

Acorn Squash - a new vegetable for us

I "discovered" a new vegetable - acorn squash. We'd never had it before; I never knew how to fix it. I was shopping for groceries at the commissary, and an older couple was discussing which ones to get. I asked the woman, "How do you fix that?" She explained that it was really simple - cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, add a little brown sugar and butter, and bake.

I did a little research to refine the technique further, and this is what I came up with:

Baked Acorn Squash

1 medium acorn squash
2 tablespoons butter
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar (we like ours sweet)

Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray a small baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut squash in half vertically through the stem. Using a spoon, scoop out the insides and discard them. Place face down on baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes. Turn over. (You might have to move them to a dish with sides so they don't fall over.) Place a tablespoon of butter and about a tablespoon and half of brown sugar in each half. Bake another 35-40 minutes. Serves 2.

The taste is reminiscent of sweet potato, but not as sweet. This is a joy to find something new and good. I found a different way to fix it here, a nice recipe by Alanna of A Veggie Venture.

2 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

A lovely, simple and delicious recipe for Thanksgiving or anytime. Thanks for the recipe.

Cindy F. said...

Oh gosh! This site is going to get me into trouble cause I like to cook AND eat:)
I LOVE acorn squash! I'm such a country cooking person, but I cover mine in bisquick and fry it!
OMG...it's so good! The bisquick is sweet. I'm going to have to try your recipe too, if I ever find any again! I haven't seen any acorn squash since we moved here!