Saturday, January 19, 2008

Finally, Thursday Soup or Stew Roundup!

Computer problem fixed. It was my computer, I guess. I restarted it and now it works just fine!


Two more new-to-me blogs to read! First is Alison of Someone's in the Kitchen. Alison hails from Hot Springs, Arkansas, where she has a commercial kitchen and a gourmet market. She also works as a personal chef. I wanna go to Hot Springs! The closest we have to a gourmet market around here is Trader Joe's. Alison's contribution this week is a dish I know my husband would love, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Don really likes soups with rice in them, and since I don't make them often, this is one I just might have to try!






Solange has a blog called Pebble Soup, and her contribution this week is a Mediterranean-inspired soup called Chickpea Soup with Mint and Garlic. It's from a cookbook she received for Christmas--A Celebration of Soup by Lindsey Bareham. Since my mother's a soup fanatic, I think I'll get a copy, copy out the recipes I want to make, and send her the book for her birthday!












I put soup in the crockpot Thursday morning, and was able to come home to the chilly house and have an instant hot supper. This soup also has chickpeas in it, and I learned that the slow, all-day cooking made them quite tender. This soup also has diced sweet potatoes - I've never put sweet potatoes in soup before - and they held their shape. They're just on the edge of falling apart like they do when they're baked, but they're still in once piece. I think if I stirred the soup too much, the sweet potatoes would turn to mush. The flavor of this soup was wonderful, so this recipe's definitely a "keeper."
Slow-cooked Vegetable Soup
from Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook

* 3/4 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large potato, peeled and diced
* 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
* 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
* 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
* 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 2 teaspoons soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 1 bay leaf
* Dash cayenne pepper
In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add potato, sweet potato and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 serving (about 3 quarts).

Try to join me next week, will you? I'm looking forward to what you'll make!

No comments: