Monday, June 25, 2012

Secret Recipe Club - Rocks!

My assigned blog this month in the Secret Recipe Club was Kudos Kitchen by Renee. In addition to making tasty, healthy food, Renee has a special talent of painting. She does fabulous decorative tiles, bowls, and glassware.  You really should go check out her work - and maybe even visit her Etsy shop. There's a lot of eye candy there!

But on to the food.  I found all kinds of things I will be making on Renee's blog. But the recipe I made almost immediately was Rocks.  Yes, Rocks. Renee had been given a vintage cookbook from the 1930s, and found a handwritten recipe for these cookies inside. Don and I had been wanting some cookies, and these came together quickly.  The dough is similar to that for chocolate chip cookies, but with a little cinnamon thrown in.


My cookies came out looking different from Renee's - mine flattened out while hers retained some height to them. Maybe it's the altitude, or it might have been the fact that I used a silpat while Renee used parchment paper. No matter.  The taste was wonderful, and these are definitely on our "do again" list!

Rocks

1-1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
3 well beaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of walnuts

Preheat oven to 350˚. Cream together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add gradually to sugar/egg mixture.  Stir in raisins and walnuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet topped with parchment paper or a silpat.  Bake 9-12 minutes or until lightly browned. (Renee's recipe called for 15 minutes - but in my oven that was way too long.)  Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

Even the cookies that I thought were a bit overdone really weren't.  These stayed chewy even after they'd cooled completely. That's the way I LOVE my cookies.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cyndi! I'm glad you chose this recipe. It was such fun to bake something "vintage" don't you think? I hope you liked the cookies. I'll bet the altitude made the difference in height, but who cares? The still tasted good I'll bet! BTW, thanks for the kind words about my artwork. I really appreciate it! See you next reveal day :)

Lisa~~ said...

Great looking cookies and we love chewy!

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

amy @ fearless homemaker said...

i love chewy cookies, too, + these sound great!

Jenni said...

Yum! I love throwing cinnamon in my chocolate chip cookies, but I never knew they were called Rocks before! How fun!

Rituparna said...

Those look delicious !

Unknown said...

raisins in cookies (or just about anything) is always a good idea :)

happy src reveal, friend!

Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies said...

These cookies look wonderful!!!

We all loved the oatmeal date bars..thx for sharing the recipe.

I wanted to let you know on your blog under "Sweet Things" I tried to go to the Oatmeal Date bars but the link didn't work (I was so disappointed b/c I knew I wanted to make them). As I was browsing your Archives I saw the recipe again and that linked worked (Yipee!!!)

Happy SRC Reveal Day!

Kelsey said...

These cookies sound delicious! I'm definitely curious about the name though...

Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious said...

Wonderful choice! Love heirloom recipes. (Visiting you from SRC Group D.)