Monday, May 01, 2006

Soup for Dinner

DH says that he likes to eat soup in the winter, but there are times when I just want the flavors of this one. It’s creamy, hearty, and very low in carbs and fat (as long as you use lowfat milk). It takes only 30 minutes to make, so it's a good one to cook on a weeknight after work.

Sopa de Coliflor y Champinones (Cauliflower and Mushroom Soup)

IMG_0700

2 c cauliflower (about half of a medium head)
3 t butter
2 T minced onion
2 c sliced mushrooms
2 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t white pepper
2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 t beef soup base
3 1/2 c milk
2 T chopped parsley (optional)


Wash and drain cauliflowerets. Slice the larger ones. Cook in boiling salted water 8 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and mashl slighlty. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook until onion is tender but not browned. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute. Add salt, white pepper, bouillon cubes and milk. Cook and stir until hot and slightly thickened. Add cauliflowerets. Cook until heated through. Serve at once. Serves 4

I always serve this with cornbread or crusty French rolls.



7 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds wonderful, but given that my honey is not really a soup eater, I'll just have to bookmark this for when he's travelling.

Thanks for sharing.

Cyndi in BC said...

That sounds really good! And almost gluten free too. I think I can substitute corn starch for the thickening agent though. Thanks for the great recipes. I just recently found your blog. Just for fun, one day I googled "Cyndi" and there you were.

Anonymous said...

Looks great!!

Chefspiration said...

droooool! sounds so yummy!
thanks for linking my site btw!! How would I do the same thing? I've been trying to figure out how I can link all the sites I visit ...I've been unsuccessful in my attempts though :(

Cat said...

looks interesting Cyndi! are you on a carb counting diet?
always looking for new ways to prep vegges that i dont like :) have a good weekend!

Michele said...

Wow, this sounds so good! I'm not a big soup fan but this I think I would really enjoy!

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds yummy.